Feeling Good About Helping Others

Dear husband and I have recently been volunteering with a pit bull rescue. We each go a couple times during the week to walk and exercise a dog that is in a kennel for most of the day so it can get out, get something else to see and learn some basic obedience. This was my weekend to do both Friday and Saturday morning with Daisy (sheltered dog.) We both love helping these dogs in need and are always looking for ways to help others so when I got the request to go to Woodland and help cook at a homeless shelter, we both were ready to help.

After my morning visit with Miss Daisy, I hurried home to change my clothes, grab some breakfast and head to Woodland. Both of us with some of our closest friends spent the day cooking Thanksgiving in March. There were eight turkeys, home made gravy, yams with marshmallows on top, sour cream and chive potatoes, green beans with onions, sliced grilled French bread with artichoke dip on top, and a peach and apricot cobbler. We really outdid ourselves and were pooped in the end, but had a great time doing it. Granted, as soon as I got home, I downed the Advil for my aching legs, took a shower and flopped on the couch with a nice stiff drink and some quiet time with my honey.

So, the rewards reaped from our day of cooking and camaraderie was not only the grateful thanks of those that we fed, and the time spent with loved ones that can never be replaced, but eight turkey carcases that we were able to turn into stock the next day and can with my pressure canner. Was it another excuse to get together with friends and hang out, laughing and having fun? Maybe. But we also have some great home made stock that can be used for soups in the future. What have I learned from this weekend? Well, to be tired is ok, to be sore is fine, but spending time with the ones you love and making memories that will last forever while helping others is pure unfiltered joy. The next time someone asks you to help out, I say go for it, because you never know what will happen.

Comments