A Long Weekend That Never Seems Long Enough

Monday, May 3, 2010

This weekend was my three day weekend that I get to have every other week because I work a 9/80 schedule. What this means is I work my 80 hours in 9 days instead of the normal 10 days of a regular work schedule. On the week that I don't get Friday off, it's a long week of 9 hour days, but on that second week when I only work 8 hours on Thursday and know that I have that Friday off, it's a great week indeed.

Luckily, husband has Friday and Saturday off every week and we are able to have two days together every other week. This weekend was one of those great weekends we had together. With nothing special planned, but chores and errands to do, we set off fairly early (well, early for us) on Friday and went shopping. We made our first stop at the post office to mail off some packages of my canned goodness we have been promising people for a while then decided to head to OSH to see what they had there. With the husband working now, we have a little extra spending money and can start working on the house again. Since we've been focusing on the outdoors recently, we decided to keep that going and do some flower shopping.

After doing some roaming in the nursery, we found a Santa Rosa plum tree on sale, the exact red/orange rose tree that we both wanted, yellow daisies to add to the row of purple and white daisies we have in the back yard and a cute fern for the front yard next to the hose. We were both very excited with our purchases and spurred on for more shopping. The next few stops were to stock up the pantry for the week ahead. Strawberries were found at the 99cent store, huge artichokes were picked up at Trader Joe's and bread was on sale at SaveMart. By the time we were done with our shopping extravaganza we were fairly peckish since it was around 3p and decided to stop for a late lunch/early dinner. We ended up choosing Bobo's Cafe right there at Town & Country Village and had a great meal that was just what we wanted. Something light but tasty!

When we pulled up in front of Bobo's, Tate noticed a vintage guitar shop next door and so it was decided we "had" to check it out, but that would wait until after we ate. Once our bellies were full and we had sat for a bit having a nice lunch, we headed next door to check things out. First thing we noticed was this cool Batman looking guitar that we had to have a closer look at. Roaming around the guitar shop, Tate was loving it and knew that he would have to be back, but we were able to beg a photo of the Batman guitar from the owner.

With frozen peas in the car getting mushy as we spoke, we headed out of the guitar shop and made our way home to unpack the car and head out for a quick trip to Big Lots for some potting soil.

We were awake bright and early Saturday and we knew that it was an "Eggie's" Saturday. Every other Saturday we meet friends of ours for breakfast at Eggie's and it's great fun, but since we were awake so early (8am) I knew we had to wait before we called to set the time for breakfast. Being wide awake, but not ready to get out of bed quite yet, Tate decided it would be a great idea to let the dogs in and have them up on the bed. So there we were, the two of us and the three dogs jumping all over us in bed. It was a riot and we're lucky we didn't end up bruised with Buddy and Woody bouncing all over the place. :^D

Doggy fun over with, we got up, cleaned up and out the door for our breakfast fun. After breakfast we were back home to do the planting of all the pretties we had purchased the day before. As the husband was getting stuff squared away, he asked me what I wanted to do with the two little daisy plants we had got at the 99cent store. Knowing that they should be in a pot instead of the ground, I was searching the yard for somewhere they could go when I found the perfect container. Recycling at it's best in our house!

Leaving Tate to work on the yard, I headed out to take care of Daisy, the pit bull that I volunteer to help take care of once a week. We spent the rest of the day taking care of stuff around the house and Tate got all of our new lovelies planted, fed and watered.

Sunday Tate was back to work and I was left home alone to my own devices. This meant a day of canning. I had lots of strawberries that needed to be made into jam and a co-worker that has been begging for more of the Thai Hot & Sweet dipping sauce so to work I went. I spent a good three hours making two batches of strawberry jam that yielded me a good showing.

And I spent another three or so hours making two batches of the dipping sauce which left my day looking fairly productive.

Sunday evening came and the weekend was over. It was nothing special but when you're spending time with those that you love and enjoying each other's company, you don't really need anything more than that. Thank you, husband for being who you are and keeping me company in life.


Post a Comment

Pineapple and the Crab Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino