Sea Glass Makeover

A couple years ago I had to get a new car because my current car, which had just been paid off, got squished by a tree while I was living downtown. But that's another story. This story is about the new car and the fact that I had a desire to change the license plate frame on the back.

Being the crafty chica that I am, I didn't want to just go out and purchase a new license plate frame, I wanted something unique and cool. Digging into my box of crafty goodness, I found a container of sea glass I had collected in Fort Bragg several years earlier. I thought that was the perfect idea for my re-vamped license plate frame, so I got out all of my supplies. I top coated the frame with black spray paint to hide the white lettering of the car dealer info, and set to gluing my sea glass. I used Gorilla Glue thinking it was perfect solution to my gluing needs, well I was wrong. A few years down the road and my sea glass has been falling off my license plate frame leaving a trail of shiny bread crumbs all over Sacramento.

Now having to look at a partially decomposing license plate, I knew it was time to do something. Husband told me that when I re-do my license plate frame that I should use marine epoxy since it's built to hold up to the weather and be water tight, so while we were at our local Ace hardware this past weekend, I picked myself up a bottle of marine epoxy and headed off with the goal to finally re-vamp the frame.

We got home and I set to work peeling the remaining sea glass from the frame and chipping away at the dried out decomposing glue. Once all was clean, I assembled my tools and got to mixing the epoxy to begin gluing a whole new set of sea glass onto my frame. Having to wait 24 hours to make sure the bond is set, I took my beauty outside and gave it a clear coat of lacquer to make it shine!

Two coats of lacquer, all dried and ready to go, I'm set for the road!

Comments