Glassy Saturday

I received an email from a good friend of mine last week asking if I would like to be her plus one at a glass blowing class she bought on Groupon. My answer was, "Would I? Of course I would!" So the plan was made to get together Saturday morning and head to a local glass studio and learn how to make a paperweight.

I showed up at Jen's house with camera in hand ready to take lots of photos and be her assistant. My main roll was to document and assist as needed. We learned the history of glass blowing, the tools of the trade and were given a demonstration on what we would be doing to make the paperweight. It was fascinating and fun at the same time. After the demonstration, it was Jen's turn to step up to the furnace and make the glass pretty. She had picked out the colors she wanted to add in the middle and was all set to go. I kept snapping photos and even got to help out a bit. We are going back to pick up the final product on the 30th since it needed time to properly cool down in a controlled environment. They are supposed to do another groupon for Christmas to make an ornament and we both can't wait to do that one too.

After our adventures in glass we thought we'd stick with the theme and check out a local pottery place called Panama Pottery where they have a huge selection of pottery and garden art, then headed to Dad's Kitchen for lunch. It was a great Saturday spent with a very good friend.

Click here to see photos

Comments