A little ranty, but need to get it out.

I think I just have a love/hate relationship with technology and am constantly amazed by how much people will spend on it to have the latest and the greatest shiny object. I understand most technology and many of my friends often solicit help from me with their computers or different programs. I normally have no problems figuring out a new computer or gadget, but I also live a simple life. I don't want to live plugged into something 24/7. I don't want to have to have my mp3 player with me all the time so I can have my "tunes" or fret because I left my phone at home. My car still has the stock CD player that came with it and if I forget my phone at home, then, oh well, I'll just have to live without it.

The fact that Apple stores are selling out of the new iPhones within 30 minutes is kind of making me sick. Do you people really need a new phone that bad? I doubt it, you just want something shiny and new. My phone is three years old, I bought it used less than a year ago and is the first smart phone I have owned. Does it do the job? Yup, sure does! Do I need a new one, not until this one totally breaks down on me. Does my life depend on it? Nope, but it is handy. I probably would still have my old phone if I wasn't involved in pet rescue. I found that trying to find someone's home in the dark and having printed maps weren't a good combination so I made the splurge. I paid $60 on ebay for my phone to have GPS so I wouldn't crash into someone's mailbox while trying to find the next street to turn on while juggling a puppy and a map in the dark.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my phone. I get to play all those silly games, troll Facebook when I'm out and about and post all my obnoxious food photos on Instagram. But am I constantly on it? No, and when I find myself pulling it out in boredom I make myself stop and recognize what I'm doing before doing anything else. You see, I don't want to be addicted to my phone. I don't want to have to check my phone for every update that comes through or to be one of those people that can't sit and have a conversation with someone else without their phone being on the table buzzing and beeping and checking it every two seconds. They always say they are paying attention, but then a text will come through they have to check, and BAM there they go, somewhere else instead of being there with you in that moment that you will never get back.

I'm not sure what point I'm trying to get across here, but I just felt the need to get it out there. Is it my sensitivity to what I perceive as greed? There is so much waste in this world and when I see a headline like the one I saw today about the iPhone's selling out it just get's me going. I see all of those perfectly good phones being cast aside for the latest and greatest model that will be obsolete within a year when that money can be going to better things. Greed is what has put this country in the mess it is in now and the fact that people run to spend money they don't really have get a phone they don't really need just escapes my logic.

I guess there was no point to this rant, other than for me to rant. I think I need to climb back into my hole and go back to living in the 40's with my canned goods, cooking from scratch and re-using and re-purposing every possible item I can before having to buy something new.

Comments